Less stress, more life through innovation
Our mission is to create remarkable health experiences freeing people to be their best. Innovation is a chief ingredient to achieving this mission. For us, innovation is a culture, not a function. It’s a part of what we do every day, in big ways and small. To help us innovate better and faster, we inspire curiosity in one another. And the focus of our every endeavor is the real-life needs of customers, including:
- Cost control
- Superior insurance products
- Advanced clinical care
- Transforming the health experience
Driving change, bottom-up, outside-in
We're a spirited team of innovators, dreamers, thinkers and doers, working to build a future world that embraces health. We partner inside and outside of Highmark Health to leverage time-tested methodologies, fresh insights and cutting-edge technologies to solve the problems that are preventing the people we serve from being their best.
We've built an innovation ecosystem that generates results for our customers quickly and efficiently, including:
- Co-creative partnerships built on certain shared strategic priorities, strengthened by deep insights into emerging and promising markets;
- Human-centered design to engage our customers in creating solutions they need and want to live a better life;
- The VITAL Innovation Platform that leverages our unique, blended health approach to deliver the evidence the marketplace critically needs to further validate early-stage FDA-approved medical innovations.
And we get results.
Recent additions to Highmark Health's 100+ year history of innovation include:
- Early-stage health innovations validated by VITAL and adopted as medical policy and for insurance reimbursement, including:
- HeartFlow, which uses data from a standard CT scan to create a 3D model of coronary arteries and blockages, reducing the need for invasive angiograms and lowering health care costs.
- Freespira, a digital therapeautic that reduces or eliminates debilitating panic attacks.
- LINX a reflux management system for GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease).
- Bronchial Thermoplasty, a medical device that alleviates symptoms of asthma, allowing patients to breathe more freely.
- An employee-engagement program designed to substantially increase nurse retention across our 13-hospital system by improving work-life balance.
- A cancer-treatment experience where care starts before you walk in the door by eliminating unnecessary wait time and anticipating the needs of patients far beyond traditional medical care from the comfort of your chair (as well as the family and friends who come along) to your favorite snack.
- A new clinical process that guards against medication errors.
- Partnership with other plans to join a blockchain testing environment, which allows us to safely explore new opportunities to reduce costs and enhance process integrity and efficiency.
While we focus on the horizon, forging ahead, we never lose sight of where we are and why we're here.
We're here to serve. We're here to make it better, less stressful, even remarkable. We're changing health care. We're reining in cost. And, most importantly, we're improving the health of the people we serve, freeing them to be their best.
And we can't wait to do more.