About Us Our Story
Highmark Health was established in Pittsburgh in 2013 to ensure delivery of the right health care at the right time in the right health care setting for our customers. A national health and wellness organization, Highmark Health and our diverse portfolio of health care-related businesses now employ more than 35,000 people who proudly serve more than 50 million Americans in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Our customers include consumers, businesses and government entities, which rely on our companies for their extraordinary experience in the health care industry and their exceptional products, services and solutions.
The Highmark Health organization is focused on building the health care of the future. We are connecting care and coverage in new ways to achieve health care that is better coordinated, delivered closer to home and that better deploys technologies and innovation to support our corporate mission of delivering high-quality, accessible, understandable and affordable experiences, outcomes and solutions for customers.
While Highmark Health as an organization is relatively new, some of our affiliates and their predecessors have a proud legacy of providing health care in their communities for more than 150 years. West Penn Hospital, a flagship of Allegheny Health Network, has been caring for patients since 1848. Davis Vision, a managed vision care company, traces its roots to 1917. The Highmark health plans have been providing insurance protection to consumers for more than 75 years. And we are just as proud to welcome our newest affiliates, such as HM Health Solutions, which continue to strengthen our diverse portfolio and position us to lead change in the American health care industry.
About our portfolio of businesses
The Highmark Health organization consists of the following businesses, working together to create a better health care experience for those we serve:
- The Highmark health plans business includes Highmark and its Blue-branded affiliates, which serve the health insurance needs of consumers, businesses and government entities.
- Allegheny Health Network and its affiliates form an integrated health care delivery network, which provides health care delivery, research, medical education and wellness services.
- Visionworks provides exams, eyeglasses, contact lenses and services at more than 700 retail optical stores in the United States.
- Davis Vision provides comprehensive, managed vision care coverage through a leading national provider network.
- United Concordia Dental delivers high-quality dental solutions through a leading national network of dentists.
- HM Insurance Group works to protect United States businesses and their employees from health-related financial risk.
- HM Health Solutions provides innovative, technology-based solutions that support the multiple product lines of health plans.
- HVHC Distribution & Manufacturing fabricates eyewear exclusively for its affiliates Visionworks and Davis Vision.
About our deep commitment to the community
Just as we are dedicated to serving each and every customer, we are committed to meeting the needs of the communities where we operate. Highmark Health and our affiliates, including our affiliated foundations, collectively provide millions of dollars every year to support stronger communities of healthier people. We also support and advocate for diversity and inclusion, employee volunteerism and environmental sustainability.
We encourage you to learn more about the Highmark Health organization and to experiencefirst-handthe ways in which we are getting health care right by delivering on our commitment to build a better health care system that provides a more caring, positive and more personal experience for our customersone customer at a time.
The Highmark Health organization includes affiliates with legacies of more than 150 years of providing health care in the community.