Highlights Charitable Foundations
For Abby: A safe place to grieve at school
After experiencing the death of her father when she was just 13, Abby said she "felt lost" and, like many children who lose a parent, was suddenly uncomfortable and envious around the other kids who still had their dads.
The seven charitable foundations affiliated with Highmark Health have long and proud histories of funding programs that improve the health, well-being and quality of life for individuals in the communities that we are privileged to serve.
The seven foundations include:
- Allegheny Valley Hospital Trust is the philanthropic source of support for Allegheny Valley Hospital, a member of Allegheny Health Network. (www.ahn.org)
- Forbes Health Foundation is the philanthropic source of support for Forbes Hospital and Forbes Hospice, members of Allegheny Health Network. (www.ahn.org)
- Highmark Caring Foundation, funded primarily by Highmark Inc., supports the Highmark Caring Place, A Center for Grieving Children, Adolescents and Their Families. (www.highmarkcaringplace.com)
- Highmark Foundation, with support from Highmark Inc., supports programs that promote the health and well-being of the communities served by Highmark Inc. and its subsidiaries and affiliates. (www.highmarkfoundation.org)
- St. Vincent Hospital Foundation is the philanthropic source of support for Saint Vincent Hospital, a member of Allegheny Health Network. (www.ahn.org)
- Suburban Health Foundation is the philanthropic source of support for the Suburban Health Foundation’s Suburban Campus, a member of Allegheny Health Network. (www.ahn.org)
- The West Penn Hospital Foundation is the philanthropic source of support for West Penn Hospital, a member of Allegheny Health Network. (www.ahn.org)
Among 2015 highlights are the Highmark Caring Place's continued expansion of its school-based grief support program, as told by Abby, a student who has benefitted from the program; the Highmark Foundation’s funding of Alder Health Services, which serves HIV and AIDS patients in the LGBTQ community; and the West Penn Hospital Foundation’s success with an annual memorial golf outing that raises funds for caring and comfortable environments for cancer patients.
2015 was a record year for philanthropy across Allegheny Health Network, with 2,300 donors contributing more than $18.2 million to advance research, education and clinical care.
Since its inception 15 years ago, the Highmark Foundation has provided more than $120 million in funding to support initiatives that educate and improve the overall well-being of the communities served by Highmark Inc. and its subsidiaries and affiliates in Pennsylvania and West Virginia.
Established in 2008 by the Highmark Caring Place, Children’s Grief Awareness Day is observed around the world on the third Thursday in November, when commemorators wear blue and host many activities to raise awareness about childhood grief.