Each year, Highmark Health and its affiliates contribute millions of dollars to support hundreds of organizations and programs that improve health, well-being, and quality of life in our communities. That support ranges from small, local groups up to our enterprise-wide United Way campaign, which raised $3.3 million in 2017.
Highmark Health and its affiliates also run community programs as part of giving back to, reinvesting in, and strengthening our communities. Some provide free services to those in need, like United Concordia's dental clinics. Others are educational, including the Allegheny Health Network In School Youth program.
Some of our best-known community programs include:
- Allegheny Health Network's In School Youth program, which provides a series of educational sessions in the AHN Simulation, Teaching, and Academy (STAR) Center to city high school students interested in pursuing a career in health care. The program culminates with a ceremony where students receive accolades for their accomplishments.
- United Concordia's free dental clinics, which provide free dental care for uninsured and underinsured adults and children nationwide, giving $12.4 million worth of dental services to nearly 16,000 adults and children in 2017.
- HM Health Solution's support of Variety the Children's Charity My Voice program, which provides children with disabilities technology that allows them to communicate. In 2017, HMHS employees raised more than $42,000, enough to buy devices for 35 children. HMHS is also building a database of Pennsylvania occupational, physical, and speech therapists with the help of AHN.
- Visionwork's Let's Go See program, which provides vouchers for eye exams and glasses to children and organizations in need. Since the program launched in 2015, Let's Go See has provided 42,059 free eye exams and glasses to children in need.
- Highmark's Walk for a Healthy Community, founded in 2003, is an annual fundraising walk in seven locations. Highmark Walk for a Healthy Community, for which Highmark coordinates and underwrites event costs, provides all the money raised by walkers to the participating nonprofits. Through 2018, more than $13.6 million has been raised to help more than 400 nonprofits!