Each year, Highmark Health and its affiliates contribute millions of dollars to support hundreds of organizations and programs that improve health, well-being, and quality of life in our communities. That support ranges from small, local groups up to our enterprise-wide United Way campaign, which raised $2.4 million in 2020.
Highmark Health and its affiliates also manage community programs as part of giving back to, reinvesting in, and strengthening our communities. Some provide free services to those in need, others are educational, and some cover a broad range of needs served by other non-profits in the community.
Some of our best-known community programs include:
- United Concordia Dental is dedicated to promoting good oral health in the communities where our employees and members live and work. Our dental outreach sponsorships focus on providing free care to the uninsured and underinsured people of our communities. Through these sponsorships, over 16,600 underserved patients were provided with over $12.6 million in free dental care in 2019.
- HM Health Solution's support of Variety the Children's Charity My Voice program provides children with disabilities technology that allows them to communicate. In 2017, HMHS employees raised more than $42,000, enough to buy devices for 35 children. HMHS is also building a database of Pennsylvania occupational, physical, and speech therapists with the help of Allegheny Health Network.
- The Highmark Walk for a Healthy Community, founded in 2003, is an annual fundraising walk that benefits local health and human service agencies, making a difference, one step at a time.
- The primary goal of the walk is to help participating organizations raise money for their individual missions. In 2020, the Virtual Highmark Walk for a Healthy Community, raised $917,000 for the 260 participating organizations. Highmark coordinates the events and underwrites all costs. One hundred percent of the funds raised through this event go directly back to the participating organizations. Through 2020, more than $15.9 million has been raised to help more than 450 nonprofits!
- For any nonprofit looking to apply for consideration of participation in the 2022 Highmark Walk for a Healthy Community cycle, please visit the Nonprofit Application.